[AWIS Chicago Listserve] 4th Annual Innovator Award Dinner and other news

Joy Ramos joyramos at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:34:14 CDT 2010

AWIS-Chicago <http://www.awis-chicago.org/> has been pretty busy thesepast
couple of months and we have quite a few more exciting activities planned in
the near future. Be sure to check out the latest issue of AWIS magazine,
which features pictures from our recent events in the Chapter News
section.
We hope to see you at an AWIS-Chicago event soon!

*- Upcoming AWIS-CHICAGO event -*

* *

*Save the date for the 4th Annual AWIS-Chicago Innovator Award Dinner*

* *

Date: Monday, May 24th, 2010

Venue: Blue Star Wine Bar (http://www.bluestarwinebar.com)

Time and registration details: To be determined

Thank you for the excellent nominations and we are pleased to congratulate
this year’s awardee, *Dr. Alicia Loffler*, associate vice president for
Innovation and New Ventures at the Office for Research at Northwestern
University! Stay tuned for more details!
 **
*- Recent AWIS-CHICAGO events - *

*Women in Science Symposium 2010: Building an Identity*

Thank you to everyone who attended the first ever, all-day Women in Science
Symposium last April 17th, co-sponsored with C2ST! We hope you all enjoyed
the insightful panel discussions, breakout sessions, keynote talk by AWIS
co-founder, Dr. Neena Schwartz, and opportunity to network with colleagues
in Chicago. We hope to make this an annual event so stay tuned!

*60th Annual Student Science Fair in Chicago*

More than 300 students from Chicago Public Schools participated in this
year’s Science Fair at the Museum of Science and Industry! AWIS-Chicago is
proud to be a regular supporter of this event and we provided Special Awards
to 2 female students that showed the most potential: Jessika Gaughan,
a  7thgrader from Cassell, with her Chemistry project entitled “Roses
R Red,
Violets R Blue, Y is this True?” and Gargi Vaghmare, a 12th grader from
Mather with her Physics project entitled “Measuring the Speed of Light Using
Chocolates”. Each student received a certificate and a $50 check.
Certificates of recognition were also given to 5 runner-up students. Thank
you to all the volunteers who helped us judge this year. We hope to see you
again next year.

*- AWIS NATIONAL news -*

*AWIS Public Policy Fellowship opportunity – submission deadline, April 30th,
2010*

The AWIS Public Policy Fellowship for women in science, technology,
engineering, and mathematics is a new program launched in the spring of 2010
in anticipation of the organization’s 40th Anniversary.  One Fellow is
selected each spring to work in Washington, D.C., as a full-time team member
of the AWIS National Office and presents an exceptional opportunity for
hands-on advocacy experience.
The Fellow reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for working
with the Advocacy Committee of the National Board to advance the
Association's legislative agenda and policies on behalf women science,
technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
Some examples of duties and assignments for a Fellow include:

   - Tracking legislation and analyzing policy issues at the nexus of gender
   and science.
   - Working with key AWIS advocacy partners in particular the Society of
   Women Engineers (SWE) and AAUW.
   - Representing AWIS at key coalition meetings and conferences.
   - Developing talking points, letters, and other advocacy documents.

A key goal for the fellowship is to educate AWIS members, chapters, and
other key stakeholder groups about issues which impact women and STEM
policies in order to encourage activism and leadership at the grassroots
level. Potential projects that a Fellow may carry out to increase activism
include the following:

   - Developing educational presentations, fact sheets and other
   communication tools.
   - Promoting timely grassroots political and legislative activism.
   - Helping the AWIS to develop and communicate its policy agenda.
   - Providing regular legislative updates to the AWIS leadership and
   members.

Candidates are not expected to be proficient advocates at the start of the
fellowship but preference will be given to applicants with a demonstrated
interest in gender and/or science policy. Prior policy, legislative, or
political experience is helpful. Additionally, there are a number of skills
that will help the Fellow to maximize the benefit of her time in Washington,
D.C.:

   - Writing and public speaking.
   - Computer literacy for research and presentations.
   - Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
   - Flexibility in schedule, as extended work hours, including some
   weekends, are sometimes required.

AWIS is able to offer a competitive stipend.  If you are interested in
applying for the 2010-2011 Fellowship, please send your cover letter and
resume to Janet Bandows Koster, Executive Director, at koster at awis.org.   The
submission deadline is only a little over a week away so make sure you send
in your application soon! Details about the fellowship can be found on
www.awis.org. Good luck!