[AWIS Chicago Listserve] November News

AWIS Chicago Communications awiscommunications at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:33:01 CST 2010

In this email:
Feedback Survey on Kick-off Event and Future Events, Volunteer
Opportunities, November's Scientist of the Month Sacha Patera, Next AWIS-CAC
event

**
*-AWIS Chicago November News-*

*AWIS-CAC wants to hear from you!*
**
**
**
A big thanks to everyone that made it out to our kick-off event on November
2nd.  It was great to see old and new faces and we're excited about this
coming year.

If you came to the event (or even if you didn't) we'd love to get some
feedback - both about the event itself as well as what you would like to see
AWIS-CAC offer in the coming months.

Please take a few minutes to fill out a brief
survey<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FRFLJZV>and let us know what you
think.

*Volunteer opportunities*
* *
We have two requests for science fair judges.  If you are available for
either or both, please contact the organizers or outreach at awis-chicago.org

**
*Murray Language Academy - December 10*

Murray Language Academy is looking for judges to evaluate 6th/7th grade
projects at a Science Fair on Friday, December 10th from 8:45 - 1:30pm.

The Science Fair schedule is as follows:

8:45 - 9:30 Informational Meeting for Judges
9:30 - 1:30 Science Fair Judging

A light breakfast and lunch will be provided.

Murray Language Academy is located in Hyde Park at 5335 S. Kenwood.
Contact Lori Zaimi <%20LZaimI at cps.edu> if you would like to volunteer.
(Shorter time periods are also possible)

**
**
*CPS Science and Math Fair - January 14*
**
On Friday, January 14, 2011, Chicago State University will host the Chicago
Public Schools’ Annual Science and Math Competition.  Last year’s
competition drew over 110 participants. This year we are expecting over 120
promising high school scientists and mathematicians.  They are in need of
judges for the competition in the following areas:

Aerospace Science, Computer Science, Health Science, Behavioral Science,
Environmental Sciences, Material Science, Biochemistry, Earth Science,
Mathematics, Botany, Electronics, Microbiology, Chemistry, Engineering, and
Physics & Zoology

 The organizers feel it is important that Chicago Public School students get
the opportunity to interact with science and math professionals who
exemplify the tenets of academic rigor. This experience allows aspiring
students to get first-hand exposure to individuals who are engaged in the
pursuit of academic excellence. Students are motivated by these encounters
and are able to view themselves in these roles.

Please contact Jimmie Bush <jbush at csu.edu> by December 10 for an
application.

 *Meet November Scientist of the Month: Sacha Patera*
**

Read about Sacha's career path both in and out of the lab at
http://www.awis-chicago.org/community/november-2010-scientist-of-the-month
**
**
**
*Coming soon....*

The AWIS-Chicago board is busy planning a Resume/CV workshop in January,
2011 as part of our brand new Career Skills Series.
Look for an announcement in the coming weeks!

For more detailed information about AWIS Chicago visit www.awis-chicago.org

Follow AWIS Chicago on Twitter: keyword AWISChicago or search #AWIS
Join our groups on Facebook and LinkedIn: keyword AWIS Chicago
Questions/Comments?  Email AWIS Chicago.
Become an AWIS Chicago Member!  Yearly membership starts at $35.
For more information about becoming a member, visit our website or contact
membership at awis-chicago.org.

--
Join us on Facebook and LinkedIn: keyword AWIS Chicago
http://www.awis-chicago.org/