[AWIS Chicago Listserve] It's awards season!

AWIS Chicago Communications awiscommunications at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 20:09:12 CDT 2012

*AWIS Chicago **6th Annual Innovator Award and the 1st Annual Motivator
Award Winners**
*

Thank you to everyone who participated and nominated a scientist for
recognition. After an extensive discussion of all the outstanding
applicants for the Innovator and Motivator awards last Tuesday, we made the
difficult decision of choosing the following awardees for each category:

*Innovator Awardee: Dr. Susan Cohn,* of the University of Chicago, for
demonstrating innovative approaches applied to a clinical setting by
investigating genetic factors and molecular predictors that contribute to
neuroblastoma survival rates in children.

*Motivator Awardee: Ami LeFavre*, of Niles Township High School, for
selflessly going above and beyond her teaching responsibilities to motivate
and encourage young girls to realize the importance of STEM and to pursue
this as a career. She initiated and continued multiple programs to achieve
this such as the GEMS (Girls Empowered by Math and Science) program,
organizing and distributing opportunities for STEM internships, and
providing opportunities for peer mentoring.

Our awardees will be honored with a dinner in their recognition. We're
still determining the date, so please watch this listserve for final
details. We are also planning to share the accomplishments of the other
nominees with the community through our website, so watch for that too!
*
**Help support AWIS Chicago Board member Dimitra Georganopoulou as
"Prominent Woman in Tech" for 2012*

Our very own AWIS Chicago Board member Dimitra Georganopoulou has been
named a finalist in the "Prominent Woman in Tech" category of the Illinois
Technology Association's (ITA)  CityLIGHTS awards! Congratulations to
Dimitra for being selected as one of the top nominees selected for
this category, from a record-setting number of nominations for this
year's awards.

Aside from being an integral part of the AWIS Chicago Board, Dimitra
Georganopoulou is also currently the VP of R&D of Ohmx Corporation and an
Adjunct Professor of Biomedical Engineering at Northwestern University. She
has over 14 years of experience in electrochemistry, nanotechnology and
biotechnology. She is the author of numerous patents and peer-reviewed
publications. Dimitra represented Ohmx at numerous technical and investment
conferences over the years, and she recently won the AACC Lemuel Bowie
Young Investigator Award. Dimitra is involved with several outreach
programs and is also on the Board of WIB-Chicago, the Springboard Life
Science Alumnae Committee and until recently, she served on the
AACC-Chicago board.

Dimitra said, “It’s been an honor to be nominated and a great pleasure to
make it to the finalists. Illinois is home to a plethora of talented
entrepreneurs, engineers, developers, scientists and other professionals
focused on advancing technological and cultural change, and it’s an
exciting time to be a part of this community.”

*Please show your support for Dimitra by voting for her using this link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CLVOTING. The "Prominent Woman in Tech"
category is the last one in the online ballot (you can skip categories if
only interested in the last Award). Make sure you vote before the deadline
next Wednesday, April 25th. Thank you for your support!*

--
Join us on Facebook and LinkedIn: keyword AWIS Chicago
http://www.awis-chicago.org/