[AWIS Chicago Listserve] Volunteer/Outreach Opportunity!

AWIS Chicago Communications awiscommunications at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 21:25:11 CDT 2012

*Niles Township District 219 Education to Careers – Job Shadow Career
Exploration Days*

*
*

through a normal day on the job; students observe not only job
characteristics and responsibilities, but also what skills each profession
requires on a day-to-day basis.

*Time: Oct. 30, 2012 and Nov. 3, 2012 (alternate days can be suggested)***

*More info - *http://www.niles219.org/education-careers**

*“Stellar Girls” after-school programming – Speakers and Mentors*

* *

schools will provide “Stellar Girls” after-school programming for students
one day each week for about 1.5 hours.  We are seeking 70+ volunteers to
support this program. Our volunteers will give girls the visibility to
women and men working in STEM careers and serve as role models for the
development of the girls’ future career paths.

We are asking volunteers to lead presentations. We will provide all lesson
plans, presentations, and materials for the volunteers.

Volunteer opportunities include:

1)     “Comet Speakers”: Provide a general topic presentation and conduct a
related hands-on experiment with students at one of the schools. Topics are
pre-selected and all materials for associated hands-on activities are
provided. Descriptions of activities and school locations attached. Total
engagement 2.5 hours (1 hour preparation, 1.5 hours with students). URGENT!

2)     “Nova Mentors”: Nova Mentors serve as role models in STEM careers
for girls.  Each mentor will select one Stellar Girls school to provide
on-going inspiration and encouragement for lead teachers and participating
students. In this role, mentors may participate in a variety of activities
including: kick-off, parent-night or share-out events, provide information
on additional opportunities for girls or provide career information.

Contact: Ann Reed (ann.reed at ibioinstitute.org or 312.422.1111x3)
--
Join us on Facebook and LinkedIn: keyword AWIS Chicago
http://www.awis-chicago.org/