[AWIS Chicago Listserve] AWIS Chicago May events: Women in Science Symposium, Career Skills workshop

Joy Ramos joyramos at gmail.com
Mon May 7 18:25:58 CDT 2012

AWIS Chicago is proud to be part of 2 fantastic events in early May.  Be
sure to register now to reserve your spot! As an AWIS member, you even get
to enjoy free registration for the Career Skills workshop at UIC next week.
Read on to find out more!

*Women in Science Symposium 2012: Big Ideas, Big Impact - May 11-12, 2012
*

The 2nd Women in Science symposium is literally just days away! Register
now!
The theme this year is "Big Ideas, Big Impact", focusing on:

    • Highlighting innovative, game-changing women in diverse science and
engineering fields
    • Discussing modern approaches to research practice, work-life balance,
entrepreneurship and  administration
    • Providing meaningful opportunities for discourse and networking

It will be held on Friday, May 11, 5:30-7:30 pm, at the School of the Art
Institute and on Saturday, May 12 from 8:30-5:00 pm at the Lurie Cancer
Center, Northwestern University, Chicago.

Final program information and registration can be found here:
http://c2st.org/programs-c%C2%B2st/women-in-science-symposium-2012-big-ideas-big-impact
.

Registration fees:
Student: Friday $25 / Saturday $75 / Friday & Saturday $100
General: Friday $50 / Saturday $100 / Friday & Saturday $150

As a proud sponsor of this event, AWIS Chicago will be one of the
exhibitors on Saturday. Please feel free to stop by and meet the chapter's
Board members as well as learn about past and upcoming events. We look
forward to seeing you there!

*We had an extremely limited number of  free registration codes for AWIS,
intended for AWIS members who would be helping out at our exhibitors'
table. Although the code is no longer available, we hope that you will
still be able to make it to the symposium!

*The UIC Postdoctoral Assocation and AWIS Chicago proudly present a Career
Skills workshop:*

*What's your plan?
How to find a scientific career that is right for you*

This workshop will outline a planning process that can be used by
scientists to create a career plan tailored to their own individual
strengths and aspirations.  Participants will be guided through exercises
intended to assist in self-assessment and will be provided tools to assist
in career exploration.  By the end of the session participants will set
specific goals for taking charge of their own careers and learn how to
position themselves to be competitve for positions in those career paths.

Featured speaker:
*Philip S. Clifford, Ph.D.
*Associate Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
Professor of Anesthesiology and Physiology, Medical College of Wisconsin